TopLinks

My Rockets

Other TIR Member Web Sites

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Broken Arreaux

I worked yesterday on painting my Arreaux. I assembled my improvised paint booth and applied primer and the first color coats, all in white.

My 3'x5'x7' improvised paint booth. Constructed from 3/4" PVC pipe and wrapped with a plastic drop cloth. The drop cloth is long enough to pull under from one end to the other to protect the floor. This will also serve (sans drop cloth) as the support for fiberglassing my Vulcanite.


While sanding primer coat on the payload bay tube I discovered damage that apparently occurred during its uncontrolled landing a few weeks back. It is very minor and won't prevent me flying the rocket. In a bone I believe this would be termed a buckle fracture, basically a compression of one side of the tube. Provided there are no repeats of the hard landing I don't expect it to ever be a problem.

The buckle is rotated towards the side and is pointed at by the arrow. Contrast with the equivalent area on top of the tube to see the difference.


The buckle parallels one of the seams in the tube's construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment