TopLinks

My Rockets

Other TIR Member Web Sites

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fin Reinforcement

I finished sanding out the fillets on the fins and decided to get going this evening on the reinforcement of the fins. I set up the airframe on my workbench and applied fiberglass to one side of one set of fins. This time I applied the epoxy before applying the fiberglass. I still had to apply epoxy to the fiberglass after I laid it on the rocket. Unfortunately I'm going to have more sanding to do as the epoxy has obviously settled into the area of the fillets. I'll also have to apply more epoxy to fill the texture of the fiberglass after the current round of epoxy has cured. I'll only be able to do one side of one fin at a time as I'll have to have the fin horizontal while the epoxy is curing. I'm going to first get the glass applied to all three sides of the rocket before I tackle this step. The thing I hate most about it is how wasteful it will be of my epoxy. I have to mix a full pump up and won't come close to using it all. I don't have any projects waiting in the wings that I can use excess epoxy on either. :-(


Photo Album: Tip to Tip Fins

No comments:

Post a Comment